Saturday, December 3, 2011

SWOT

12/03/05
Justin Moody
SWOT
I actually had met with my academic advisor on a couple different occasions. When I started school at UVU in the spring of 2009 I had transferred from Weber State. I was in a botany degree there but really wanted to fly commercial airlines. I met with my academic advisor that was over Aviation for UVU. We discussed opportunities within the career and I did then make a decision to come to UVU and study professional commercial piloting. In that first discussion with my advisor we did not really discuss the cons to the degree. Later in the semester by doing my own research I did find out several cons to the degree and decided I needed to take a better look. To name a couple negatives about this degree I will start with the lack of available jobs and the competition to get one of these jobs. Another negative is that it is a job for the single man. Always being away from the home would be hard on a marriage, I am married so this isn’t a good choice for me. I was discouraged so I went in for another meeting with my advisor. She suggested that if aviation was the career I wanted to go into then maybe I should look into administration. I took that advice and did find that there are limitless jobs and careers with in administration of the airport. I also found that the need was high. I identified many different jobs that interest me and decided that aviation administration fit me better. I identified many positives with in this career. Some of these positives would include being home in the evenings with my family, staying in one location, and availability. I didn’t identify strong negatives about this career. I won’t be flying big airplanes and having awesome adventures that way but I can get my Private pilot’s license and still get those same adventures I was seeking.
I am very close to completing my degree with only a couple semesters left. Mostly I just have my math to finish up that I have put off until the end. I also have a few upper level classes and my private license to finish. I plan on graduating in the spring of 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment